The other day I was asked what I did to have such a big list. I had to think about that for a moment.
I came up with 6 steps:
1. I made a decision to grow my list. That may sound elementary but have you made that decision?
2. I started carrying around a file folder in my purse (I have big purses!) with copies of my recent newsletter. Everywhere I went I would pass them out and ask if I could subscribe them to my newsletter. Don't think that the person will remember to go back home and do it themselves. Do it for them.
3. Add a signature to every e-mail that goes out giving the name of your newsletter (another elementary thought but have you named your newsletter?!), top 3 benefits from getting your newsletter, and how to subscribe.
4. I wrote an eBook as a gift for when someones subscribes to my newsletter. You can check this out at my ElizabethHagen.com site.
5. I put on the front of my business card that they get a gift by visiting my site.
6. But the BIG, BIG, BIG WAY: Speaking. This grew my list by leaps and bounds.
Here are 7 Steps to Build Your List When you Speak:
- Write a 3-page free report or a one-page tip sheet. It can be on any information that your audience can't live without. You perfectionists that are reading this - DO NOT make this so hard!
- Hand it off to a graphic person to make it pretty and available on a web link.
- At the presentation give everybody a 3x5 card in their handout packet or on their chair.
- Halfway through your presentation at an appropriate time ask "Who would like this report/tips sheet on 'xyz' (while you say this hold up a copy and raise your hand). You'll see the whole group raise their hand! Then say "I'd like to give it to you absolutely free! All you have to do is write your name and e-mail on the index card or take your business card and write 'free' on it. Not only will I e-mail you this fabulous report but you will also get a subscription to my great monthly newsletter with tips on 'abc'. I think you're going to love it but, of course, you can unsubscribe at any time." Voila! You just got 95% of the audience to subscribe to your newsletter and you're giving them valuable information.
- When you get back to your office send them an e-mail thanking them for attending your presentation, etc. and then give them the link for the free report/tips sheet.
- Subscribe them to your newsletter.
- Check in with this group two weeks later and they'll be amazed at your follow-up!
- Make a decision to start having a newsletter if you don't already do so and write your report/tips sheet.
- Follow the steps I gave you in order during your next presentation.
- Take action and really do these steps. Trust me - they work!
- Stay focused on building your list. Everyone you talk to is a candidate for your newsletter. Ask them if they'd like to get it and then subscribe them yourself. The chances of them remembering to sign up when they get back to their computer is slim to none.
Elizabeth's Recommended Tools
Constant Contact for my newsletter
Kim Casault, email@example.com, my graphic/web person who makes everything beautiful!
Now is your time, . Would you like some hand holding to build your list and grow your business? I'd be happy to visit with you to see if I'd be a right fit for you as a coach - contact me and let's set up your complimentary 30-minute session.