|It is those who make the worst use of their time who most complain of
- Jean de la Bruyere
Even if you are on the right track - you'll get run over if you just sit
- Arthur Godfrey
October 2009 Newsletter
"Try Planning Ahead"
Last week was crazy here in South Dakota as we had the warmest week all summer - in September! Go figure.
September was a great month with my daughter, Abby, home for a visit,a trip to Philadelphia, giving a number of teleclasses, and presenting my Organize with Confidence workshop to wonderful women here in Sioux Falls.
Right now I'm in beautiful Maryland presenting workshops to two different groups. I'm going on a trolley tour of Annapolis tonight and am excited to go.
I'm flying in to Minneapolis tomorrow to meet my family for a Vikings weekend. We are totally pumped that Brett Favre is with the team now and looking forward to hanging out together for the weekend. We will miss our daughters, though, and we think that they should move back closer to us!
Enjoy these wonderful fall days and read the feature article so you will start planning ahead and watch your productivity soar!
Try Planning Ahead
Before I got married I ran a small clothing store. A lot of what I learned by running this store I applied to my home in raising 5 children. Here are our precious children at Chris and Ashley's wedding.
In the home I planned my menus a week at a time, I had regular laundry days, every night we had a pick-up time, etc.
In the store I scheduled my employees a month ahead, I purchased fall clothing in January, we cleaned the store each night at a certain time, etc.
Running a business or managing a home is all about planning ahead.
I think we all know this but do we do it?! No!
We know that when we plan ahead life goes much more smoothly so why don't we? I think that we forget and it seems easier to be reactive than proactive. But that is when trouble starts.
It's very easy to make planing ahead part of your life. Pick a day and a time each week that you're going to spend 15-20 minutes planning your week. It really is that simple. Don't make it any harder than that!
Let's say you pick Sunday at 5 pm (the time is just a guideline - it's ok if it ends up being 5:30 some weeks!). At your designated time do these steps:
, I'd love to hear from you and the easiest way to do this is to comment on my blog. Just go to my blog at www.elizabethhagenspeaks.com and click on the top right button that says "Subscribe in a Reader". Choose which way you'd like to receive my blog and we can stay in contact very easily.
- If music motivates you play your favorite music and go to a spot in your home that is very comfortable. If you're doing this for your business the same steps apply but your planning time may be Monday at 8 am, for example.
- Take out your day planner or print out your computer calendar for the week. Look at the appointments that are on the calendar already. Do they still make sense? Are there any you want to delete/reschedule?
- Ask yourself "What would an ideal week look like for me?" How much personal time, marketing time, quiet time, family time, errands, e-mail time, etc. would there be? This is your chance to make your ideal week happen. Schedule appointments for those items in your calendar. You know as well as I do that if you don't schedule them they are not going to happen. This is why at the end of most weeks you feel like you haven't progressed much from the week before.
- Look over your goals. What action steps toward your goals can you put in your calendar as appointments?
- Plan your meals for the week and get the groceries now so you are all set. Use my great Grocery List/Menu Planner form. You're going to feel like a new person when you know what is for dinner every day! And you will eat healthier.
- As you plan your appointments think about what is your most productive time of the day. If it's in the morning then plan your 'harder' tasks for the morning.
- Ok, this is key! Keep the appointments. It will be very easy to push some of these aside as they are usually appointments with yourself and no one will know if you keep it or not. But you will know!
- Be ready to be amazed at how much more productive you are and how much calmer you feel. This works!
I'm excited to hear how planning your ideal week and keeping the appointments will change your life! Let me know!
Have a fabulous October!
Am I coming to your city or your telephone? Call and see if I can also speak for your organization.
Where in the World is Elizabeth?
If you are in a direct selling company such as Tastefully Simple, Arbonne, Mary Kay, etc bring me in to speak to your team. My Speak Now and Forever Get New Clients presentation will rock their business! Using speaking as a marketing tool is a great way to grow their team and get wonderful new clients!
Check out my schedule here:
I'm in the process now of booking 2010/2011
speaking engagements. If your business or organization would like to be more
focused, organized, and productive please visit the Speaking page on my website and then give me a call!