NEWSFLASH: They are not
I think it would be EXTREMELY interesting if we had a bell in our brain that would ‘ding’ every time we allowed an excuse to stop us from moving forward in our business.
- I don’t know how
- It would take too long
- That didn’t work before
- She can do it so much better than me so why try?
- That’s too scary
- Not sure if it’s worth the money
- What if I look stupid?
- I’m too tired right now. I’ll take a nap and then I’ll do this.
If these sound familiar to you I want you to STOP IT! In fact, watch this YouTube video with Bob Newhart called “Stop It”.
The next time an excuse pops up please take a minute, stop and think about this excuse. Is it real? Or is it something you tell yourself so often you now believe it’s true? There’s a good chance it is not. A really good chance.
Know the difference between an excuse and a reason.
One definition of excuse is to release from an obligation or duty. Now, that is interesting! Are you using excuses to release yourself from not doing what you know you should be doing?
How about instead of excuses you start believing in yourself?
- I can learn how
- I’ll set a timer and see how long it really takes
- Perhaps I didn’t execute the strategy correctly, I’ll try again
- I can do it my way
- It really isn’t scary. I’m just telling myself that.
- Let me ask someone else who has done this and see what their ROI was
- Or maybe I’ll look just fine – at least I’ve tried
- I’m not really tired, I’m just telling myself that to get out of doing it
The biggest difference between entrepreneurs who make it and those who don’t is their confidence. Build your confidence by ridding yourself of your excuses, exchange your excuses for belief and do the good work you have been called to do.
Now is your time.