A joke here in South Dakota is that in the summer the state bird is the Crane. As in ‘construction crane’. It is so true!
We need to utilize the nice summer days to get the bulk of construction completed. In particular, the roads. It seems everywhere I go in Sioux Falls or on the Interstate there are those beautiful orange cones. When they come into sight I know I’m going to be sitting awhile.
I always have 3 choices:
- Stay home and not go anywhere
- Drive my normal route and go through the construction which will make the drive at least twice as long.
- Learn a new route to avoid construction.
They are all valid choices. But, here are the issues with #1 and #2: If you choose one of those it can be extremely frustrating and it will seem like you are going nowhere. At least with #2 you eventually get there but with #1 you never get to your destination.
I like #3. Learn a new route, see a part of the city that is just 1-2 blocks off the main road, and have no frustration.
In fact, I love #3!
These choices are true in your life as well. If you want to make changes and live a fuller and richer life there are 3 choices:
- Do nothing
- Keep doing the same things over and over and never get different results.
- Learn a new way to live
Again, I love #3!
- Do you want to eat healthier but buy the same food at the store?
- Do you want to grow your business but spend 1/2 the day on Facebook?
- Do you want to fit into a different size of clothing but are not implementing movement into your daily routine?
- Do you want to have positive, encouraging friends but keep hanging out with the negative nellies?
- Do you want to start new habits but never get past day 3 in implementing the new habit?
I could go on and on but that list is not particularly fun to read!
I’m going to assume you want to choose choice #3 for your life. Great!
Pick one area in your life (career/business, family, relationships, faith, health, personal growth, finances, or home environment). Now decide what one small thing you can change.
- Drink more water
- Walk up and down your stairs 3 times
- Set a timer for Facebook
- Reach out to someone who always makes you feel better and set a date to get together
- Put a new habit in your calendar as a recurring appointment
- Decide on a time each day for meditation or devotions
- Organize a small kitchen drawer
- Read an online article on a subject you are passionate about
See, it’s not that hard!
The challenge I see is even keeping up with small changes. It can be so easy to go back to the same route.
Let today, Wednesday, July 26, 2017 be your dividing line in the sand. No more of the same – it’s time to learn a new route.
I love helping in every area of life but in particular self-care. Very, very few people are taking the time for themselves.
The results are stress, low self-esteem, exhaustion, etc.
Let’s turn this around.
Join me this Thursday, July 27 at 11 AM Central (Noon ET, 10 AM Mountain, 9 AM Pacific) in my Clear the Desk Movement Facebook group for a live presentation on Self-Care Sanity.
Put the date and time in your calendar and then pop into the Clear the Desk Movement page at that time and I’ll be there live.
Not a member of the Clear the Desk group yet? Go to the page and ask to join.
I will not only give you tips and actions steps to have self-care be a part of your normal routine but also invite you to join me for 90 days in my DESIRE Personal Empowerment Program.